A blog about life - the good, the bad, the people, the books, the games, coffee, and food.

Thursday, 2 November 2017

A ramble of thoughts

So this not having something urgent, and demanding of all my time and focus is a strange state of being. It's letting all sorts of thoughts in that I'm not keen on dealing with, at all. As such, I've been catching up on some of the youtube channels I watch. And then there was this:


And this, this idea of 80% that Hank is talking about is just all of the things. So I'm a perfectionist, and one that has a lot of the negative things that come with it: trying new things brings me all kinds of anxiety because what if I'm the worst at it, I try and don't follow through on a lot because I know I can't do it perfectly and if it can't be perfect what is the point, I hold myself to a harsher standard than I do anyone else etc. 

The fear of not doing something well is a large part of my inertia.

And here comes this video, that really says a lot of what has been said to me before, that at this moment has hit me in a way that may change things. I'm taken with this notion that going from the 80% to a 100% will take more work and effort than getting to the 80%. It just sounds so ridiculous and not at the same time. 

Because I know, I know that I never get to the 100%, I'm never satisfied with what I've done, so I never get to that 100%.  And am then never done, never able to move onto the next step.

So here I am, making it a public-ish thing. I will work at not going for the 100% anymore, I will work on being satisfied with getting to 80%. What does this mean in practice?

Well for now, that 30 days of yoga I want to do? I'm giving myself 5 weeks to do it. I'm not going to hit day 10 and just be done because it's too hard. Buffers make things more achievable. And getting things done is more important than it being perfect.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment :)

About Me

My photo

Me in a nutshell: I game, read, tweet, enjoy good food, have bouts of red pen rage and I'm a coffee snob.

tums2tots columnist

2017 Reading Challenge

Cassey has read 1 book toward their goal of 200 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Cassey has read 9 books toward a goal of 100 books.
hide

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.